COMMON HOUSEHOLD ELECTRICAL SOLUTIONS by Central Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical

Your home should be your sanctuary. A safe place where you can shut off the rest of the world and feel at peace. So with that said, household electrical safety is paramount! So if you are asking yourself, why are my lights flickering? Why does my circuit breaker keep tripping? Or why are my electrical bills so high?  This could be an indication of electrical issues on your home circuit.

Below is a list of appropriate solutions to common household electrical problems that will help reclaim some peace of mind.

Why are my light switches not properly working?

If you recently moved into a new home and find that you are coming across switches that are not activating anything at all, this may be a sign that there is an issue in the light switch itself, circuit or wiring. It may also indicate that the switches have been superseded and the fixture it once went to… has since been removed. Consult with the experts at CENTRAL if you’re experiencing any of these issues in your home.

Why am I experiencing electrical surges?

Electrical surges can be caused for a variety of reasons, from a damaged power line to a lightening strike from a nasty storm. An actual electrical surge typically only lasts a fraction of a second, which can damage and reduce the life electrical components in your home. Typically, frequent electrical surges are caused by an electrical device connected to the wiring itself or the home grid. Try removing any cheaply made devices from the outlet and see if that prevents the surges. Otherwise, we install a whole home surge protection device to protect your home from this happening again.

Why am I having dips in my power?

Faulty and substandard devices connected to your electrical system can often cause dips in your electrical supply. So if you are experiencing this…it’s likely that a device was made of substandard material and is draining your power supply when it is turned on.

Why is my circuit breaker tripping?

Items that have a high wattage such as hair dryers, microwaves and so on, can trip the circuit breaker especially when other power items are plugged into the same source. The good news is that the circuit breaker is doing its job and protecting you and your home, by tripping the circuit.  To help avoid circuit overload:

  • Limit high watt devices on any single circuit
  • Remove devices that are not being used (Phone charges still draw power even when not connected to your phone)
  • Don’t overload any single circuit and spread around your electrical needs
  • Unplug unnecessary electrical items

Why am I getting electrical shocks?

An electrical shock is a scary experience; it reminds us that electricity can be dangerous if not properly used and maintained. Typically the electrical shock we encounter happens as we turn an electrical devise on or off. The shock is likely coming from the appliance or the wiring in your home. To avoid another shocking experience, it is best to speak with an electrician.

Why is my electricity bill so high?

To reduce the cost of your electricity bill, here are a few tips:

  • Unplug appliances and power cords that are not in use
  • Repair damaged wires or circuits
  • Patch leaks in your hot water system
  • Make sure your HVAC system is regularly checked and running efficiently
  • Use energy efficient light bulbs, like LED, there other colors besides the ‘blue’ look.
  • Turn your lights off in rooms that are not in use

What to do if you have persistent electrical problems

When you encounter electrical issues within your home, call CENTRAL to diagnose the problem. Your Comfort is ALWAYS our Central concern! Call 406-756-6656 for all your heating, cooling, plumbing, electrical and drain cleaning needs.

***We service Kalispell, Whitefish, Columbia Falls, Bigfork, Polson, Lakeside, Somers or anywhere in the surrounding Flathead.



Scroll to Top
Call 406-756-6656