The frigid winters of Montana can create a myriad of problems within your home if not prepared. Frozen plumbing pipes that burst is one of those avoidable and often messy issues that can be avoided with an ounce of prevention.
Not every pipe that freezes will burst, but when they do it is because water expands as it freezes which adds extra stress and pressure on the plumbing pipes. That extra anxiety placed on the pipes may cause a crack down the length of the pipe that originally started with just a tiny leak, and then may turn into a flood situation within your home.
Below are a few quick tips that will help:
Identifying Frozen Pipes
- Toilets will not refill in the bowl after flushing
- Faucets will not release water
- Not all pipes will be visible, but if you see a line that is coated in frost and bulging
Thawing Frozen Pipes
- Use a hair dryer, space heater or heat lamp
- Thermostatically controlled heat tape in frozen area
- NEVER use a blowtorch! A fire would be worse than your current issue
Dealing with a Pipe that Burst
- If a flood appears in your basement, shut off the main water supply as soon as you identify the problem to lessen the flooding. The sooner you shut off the valve the less it will cost you
- With out delay, remove as much of the water as possible to dry the area. Use and availability of wet/dry vac, mops and towels will be helpful
- Call the experts at Central Heating, Cooling Plumbing and Electrical right away!
Preventing it from Happening
- Insulate any hot and cold water pipes that may be in basements, garage, crawl spaces, attic and under cabinets
- Allow air to circulate around plumbing by opening kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors
- Keep a consistent temperature day and night, by temporarily not lowering night time temperatures
- Allow water to drip from faucets that have exposed pipes when it is very cold; it will help prevent the pipes from freezing
If the unthinkable should take place, it is best to act fast and call Central Heating, Cooling, Plumbing and Electrical so that you can reduce extra costly repairs and damage.
Whether you are in Kalispell, Whitefish, Bigfork, Columbia Falls or anywhere else in the Flathead Valley. . .As always, your Comfort is our Central concern, call 756-6656, for all your heating, cooling, plumbing, electrical and drain cleaning needs.